Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A New blog begins!

Welcome!

I thought it might be a good idea if I told you a little about what vibrates my "mental melon." The "header" for this BLOG really defines what it'll be about. But at the start I thought I might give you a flavor of who's writing this, and what makes me tick.

For the most part, I'll write about things in this country (U.S.A.) that have affected me greatly; people and things that I'm just so proud of; things I just can't understand; things that make me laugh, and cry (there's been a lot of that lately); things I just don't think are right; things I absolutely know are wrong; and things I think we better all talk about or they're going to become big issues in about 12 seconds!!

There'll be politics (naturally), there'll be ideology, comparative religion, philosophy, sometimes a little humor. My Dad taught me about conversation in polite company..."You should never talk about politics, religion, or sex," but if we followed those rules, I don't thing 90% of the blogs out there would be able to continue...so we'll just be careful and remember that there might be "impressionable" folks scampering around our blogsites! Fair enough?

Hmm...well, one thing's for sure...getting older really doesn't prepare you for a lot of the things you encounter on life's road. This Thursday I turn 55. Ol' Double Nickels! There was a time when I really didn't think I'd make it to 40. Who am I kidding...there was a period there I didn't know whether I'd see 21! But then I got married, our kids came along and without even realizing it you straighten up, and before you know it 40 is loooong past!

Luckily, I have a wife with enough mental deficiencies that I've been able to hide her keys where she can't find them on those frequent occasions when she should have walked out on me! Honestly, I don't think there's another person alive that would have stuck it out with me for 31+ years. She's truly one-in-a-million, and it was a million to one shot that she ever said "Yes" to me in the first place. (Where: lobby of the Gulf & Western building after dinner at "The Top of the Park" restaurant in New York City, 1972.) She had been so smart the other 300 times I'd asked her! Biggest mistake of her life - that was!

Our kids - 2 - well, there's another pair of Aces I pulled out of the deck. Not only are they talented, but both of them are kind-at-heart, sometimes too much for their own good. And we lucked out on them getting their mother's good looks too! My big contribution was my height and body type, and (unfortunately) my sweat glands. Both kids were jocks, and if you gave them 2 minutes on the practice field they were just soaked! Just like me when I played ball. It wasn't so bad with our son Kristopher, but poor Kara Lynn, as a high school and collegiate softball player, geez, she had to carry around a bath sheet. (Sorry 'bout that kiddo!) But she's played on 6 or 7 championship teams and garnered a lot of personal awards, so I don't think she looks at the blood, sweat, & tears she put into it with anything except pride. Now she's completing her Master's and starting her teaching career. Lord knows I'm proud of her.

Our son Kristopher, well....we sure do miss his big strapping pressence, and his contagious laugh EVERY day. The Man Upstairs had some work he needed Kris to do, and Kris answered the call on March 25th, 2003. He was a Cadet Master Sergeant at The Citadel, home on leave when he passed. (I miss you Son!)

So, at 55 years old I feel confident in saying that I've seen more, done more, and experienced just about as much as these 55 year old bones can stand! Both good and bad. Here at home and overseas, there's just so much "STUFF" going on that sometimes I just don't know how we're collectively going to get through it. Some mornings I wake up and listen to the news and I think, "Hey, alright! That's positive! Maybe we'll make it." Other days, well...I just have to hang my head and wonder..."geez, are we really this stupid?" Maybe the BLOG will show you that there's at least one other "ditz" out there that feels the same as you do! Maybe you'll come back to visit or comment a couple of times and leave saying,
"Man am I glad I'm not carrying around his bag-o-marbles!"

So let's get to it!

Below are 3 posts (in reverse order - sorry) that I sent out as emails a while ago. They'll give you a flavor of what this BLOG is going to be like. Feel free to comment as long as you don't mind me commenting back - that's the way it works! The topics are my surprising agreement with Susan Estrich, the failings of the United Nations, and the recent conflict between Israel and the Hezbollah terrorists.

Hope you enjoy them and check back in regularly.
Always a pleasure,

Duty Bound

Dum Spiro Spero

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home